002 #article# How to introduce myself with English?

Meeting someone for the first time is important. This first meeting can be especially difficult in a foreign language with a different culture.
第一次会见某人很重要。在语言文化都不同的情况下,第一次会面都显得尤为重要。

This post is going to be all about how to introduce yourself in English. That’s right, I am going to discuss the different possible ways to greet someone and how to answer: tell me more about yourself!
这篇文章将会讲明如何用英语介绍自己。是的,在这篇文章里,我们将讨论各种与别人打招呼的方式。此外,还将说明如何去回答:说明更多关于你自己的事情!

It is important to realize that there are basically two types of situations.
意识到以下基本两种情况很重要。

Formal interactions
正式的互动

Informal interactions
非正式的互动

Formal interactions require a less relaxed behavior following customs and procedure.
正式的互动行为比较拘谨,需要遵守一定的礼节和程序。

These types of interactions could be one of the following:
互动的类型可能是以下其中一种:

Meeting with a government official
与政府官员会面

Talking to your boss at work
与老板谈工作

Speaking with someone older than you
与长者会面

Meeting someone famous or that you admire
与崇拜的偶像会面

In formal interactions, it is best to offer a handshake to the other individual.
在正式的互动中,最好与对方握手。

To do this follow these steps:
按照以下步骤做:

Extend your arm to the mid-torso area.
将手臂伸展到躯干中部

Open your hand with your palm facing inward.
伸开手,手掌朝内

Make a big welcoming smile with your mouth.
露出欢迎的微笑

Once they offer their hand as well make sure you give a firm handshake.
一旦他们伸出手来,要确保你握手有力。

Some people give what is called a dead fish handshake. This feels like the person is holding a dead fish when they give you a handshake.
有些人会进行“死鱼式的握手”。这种感觉就像握手的时候好像是握着一条死鱼一样。

Your hand should be firm and you should apply a slight pressure to their hand when shaking hands. Eye contact is very important and should be maintained during this time.
你的手应该很结实,握手时应当适当用力。握手时保持眼神交流很重要。

Once physical contact has been made a verbal greeting is appropriate. There are many different ways to give a greeting and introduce yourself for formal settings.
行为互动后就应该是语言互动。在正式的场合有许多打招呼和介绍自己的方式。

The one that I prefer is the following:
下面是我个人偏爱的打招呼的方式:

My name is Brian. How do you do?
你好,我是布莱恩。

Here are some other ways of greeting and introducing yourself:
以下是一些其他打招呼和介绍自己的方式:

Hello. I am Brian.
你好,我是布莱恩。

Hello. My name is Brian.
你好。我的名字叫布莱恩。

Good (morning, afternoon or evening), my name is Brian.
早上好/下午好/晚上好。我的名字是布莱恩。

Generally, other people will respond and give your their name as well.
通常情况下,其他人会回应你并且告诉你他们的名字。

If they don’t give their name, then you should ask them.
如果他们没有说他们的名字,你就应该问他们。

Here are some different ways of asking others for their name in a formal setting:
在正式的场合中,以下是问别人名字的方式。

May I have your name?
我可以知道你的名字嘛?

What is your name?
你的名字是什么?

You are…?
你是…?

I didn’t catch your name.
我没有听清你的名字。

In informal settings, we can be more relaxed. These are interactions that are more casual.
在非正式的场合中,我们可以放松一点。这些使一些更加随意的互动。

Here are examples of situations that are informal:
这是一些非正式场合的例子:

Birthday party events
生日聚会

Meeting acquaintances of friends
会见老熟人

Talking to someone much younger than you
与年幼者交谈

Here are some informal ways of asking for their name:
在非正式场合中,以下是问别人名字的方式:

What’s yours?
你的名字是什么?

Yours?
你的呢?

And you?
你呢?

After anyone gives you their name for the first time, you should say it back to them as a courtesy.
第一次会面后,别人告诉你他的名字之后,你应该说一下他的名字作为回应。

This should be done regardless if the setting is formal or informal. In repeating back their name, you are less likely to forget it later.
无论是在正式场合中还是非正式场合中,你都需要这样做。重复完他们的名字后,你日后将不会那么容易忘记。

The way to say their name back to them could be one of the following:
以下是说出他们的名字作为回应的方式:

It is nice to meet you Mary.
玛丽,见到你很高兴。

Nice to meet you Mary.
玛丽,见到你很高兴。

Well, Mary, welcome (this works if you are hosting the event).
欢迎你的到来玛丽(如果你在主持聚会,这句话就很适用)。

It is a pleasure meeting you Mary.
玛丽,见到你真是我的荣幸。

From this point, the conversation is up to you. You can ask questions about how they know your friend.
从这一刻起,你就掌握了对话的主导权。你可以问他们是如何认识你的朋友的。

As a rule, we should always be polite when meeting new people. A handshake is always appropriate, but you might need to adapt to what the other person insists on doing. For example, they might want to hug or bump fists.
一般来说,遇到陌生人的时候,我们应该保持礼貌。一般情况下,握手是合适的,但是也要入乡随俗。例如,他们可能想要拥抱或者碰拳头。

Follow their lead to avoid an awkward situation. After all, when in Rome, do as the Romans. Be sure to smile during this interaction. Don’t make it look like it is your first time on Earth.
跟随他们的方式以避免尴尬的局面。毕竟,要入乡随俗。在互动过程中要保持微笑。不要弄得像你第一次来到地球一样。

When a conversation happens it would look like this:
一场真是的对话应该是这样的:
A: Hello.
A:你好。
B: Hi.
B:你好。
A: Are you enjoying the class?
A:你喜欢这堂课吗?
B: Yes, it is okay.
B:是的,这堂课很好。
A: I am Brian, what is your name?
A: 我是布莱恩,你叫什么名字?
B: My name is Marilia.
B:我的名字是玛丽利亚。
A: Marilia, where are you from?
A: 玛丽丽亚,你来自于哪里?
B: I am from Brazil, and you?
B:我来自巴西,你呢?
A: I am from the United States. How long have you been in the country?
A:我来自美国。你在这多久了?
B: I have been for just one month.
B:我刚来一个月。
A: Are you here on business or for fun?
A:你在这从商还是来玩呀?
B: Neither one, I am here just to take this course.
B: 都不是,我来这上课。
A: We have fifteen minutes for the break. Do you want to go get some coffee?
A:我们有十五分钟的休息时间,你想喝咖啡吗?
B: Sure, that’s sounds great!
B:当然,这听起来很棒!

However, if someone asks you to introduce yourself in a meeting situation, then the response is a little more complicated.
然而,如果某人让你在开会的时候介绍自己,那么回答就会复杂一点。

Usually, what they are waiting for is five to six sentences for other people in the room to acquire facts about you so that they have an idea about who you are and your personality.
通常,他们想要的回答也就是五六句话,目的是想会议上的其他人了解你。这样,他们就会了解你是谁和你的个性。

For example, you could give your name, your age, your occupation, where you are from and something that you like.
例如,你可以说你的名字,年龄,职业,家乡和爱好。

I would say:
我会说:

My name is Brian Thornton. I am thirty-five years old. I am an English teacher and blog writer. I am from New York City and I love to travel.
我是布莱恩·桑顿。我已经35岁了。我是一名英语老师兼博客写手。我来自纽约,我喜爱旅游。